Post of the Managing Director of CESSDA AS
As of June 2013 the Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives (CESSDA AS) is established as a permanent pan-European distributed research infrastructure that will provide full scale, integrated and sustainable data services.
CESSDA AS is established as a Norwegian limited liability company governed by the members of the consortium. Its Main Office is located in Bergen, Norway, and Service Providers in countries that take part in the CESSDA AS cooperation. To-day ministries in 13 European countries are members of CESSDA AS. The annual budget for the first year is € 1.9 million. The consortium is a continuum of the Council of European Social Science Data Archives that since 1976 has existed as an umbrella organisation for such archives across Europe.
CESSDA AS is now seeking to recruit the
Managing Director of CESSDA AS
We are looking for an outstanding person that will act as the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Scientific Officer and represent CESSDA AS internationally.
Qualifications of the Managing Director:
- Higher university degree in Social Sciences or related field, or similar level experience.
Principal duties of the Managing Director are to:
- provide overall direction for the CESSDA infrastructure
- be responsible for the CESSDA AS financial management
- be responsible for the internal organisational plan and its implementation
- lead the planning of scientific and technical development for the distributed infrastructure
- be responsible for ensuring the interoperability of the national Service Providers' activities
- be responsible for coordinating national Service Providers' activities within the CESSDA AS
- be responsible for the CESSDA AS Strategic Plan
- be responsible for constructing the CESSDA AS Annual Work Programme and Budget including staffing plans
- recruit and direct the Head Office staff
- monitor and follow up Service Providers’ adherence to the standards and rules set out in CESSDA AS statutes
- lead and facilitate interaction between the Head Office and the Service Providers’ Forum
- organise and provide the secretariat for the Scientific Advisory Board
- lead the pan-European and international fundraising efforts for CESSDA
- build strong and effective pan-European and wider international relationships with a broad range of stakeholders both within and outside the Consortium, including non-CESSDA AS archives and their ministries and funding bodies; the EU; Eurostat; other infrastructures including those on the European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures (ESFRI) Roadmap
- coordinate the public relations and dissemination activities of the CESSDA AS
- ensure that CESSDA AS’ and the relevant Service Providers’ services comply with appropriate regulations and ethical, legal and societal principles
The ideal candidate must be able to articulate a convincing strategic vision for CESSDA AS and demonstrate the leadership ability to make it a reality. S/He must have knowledge of the variety of international and pan-European organisation with which CESSDA AS interacts.
The Managing Director must have experience in planning and managing a successful international organisation or a large complex cross-national project and in financial management. S/He must demonstrate excellent communication and negotiation skills. Specific knowledge of the European research area, ESFRI process and international arena, as well as of available funding mechanisms is desired. The candidate should also have knowledge of at least one of the standards employed across the Service Providers, and have a sound understanding of the technical issues faced by Service Providers.
The location for work for this post-holder will be Bergen, Norway.
The Managing Director can be appointed for a 5 year period with possibility of extension.
For further information please contact:
Temporary Managing Director Bjørn Henrichsen
Phone: +47 55 58 21 18
To submit an application, please send required documents via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for receipt of applications is 16th of October 2013.
Short-listed candidates should be prepared to participate in an interview in Bergen, Norway, (envisaged dates: 11th – 15th of November 2013).
The Managing Director is expected to start as soon as possible.
CESSDA AS is an inclusive, equal-opportunity and non-discrimination employer.