Post of the Managing Director of CESSDA AS
The Consortium of European Social Science Data Archives (CESSDA) is a pan-European distributed research infrastructure that provides large scale, integrated and sustainable data services to the social sciences. CESSDA has evolved from a network of European data service providers into a legal entity and large-scale infrastructure under the auspices of the European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures (ESFRI) Roadmap in June 2013. Since then, CESSDA has been organised as a limited company under Norwegian law. CESSDA is working to define and extend the frontiers in this rapidly expanding field. The Main Office is located in Bergen, Norway, and coordinates the cooperation between Data Service Providers from the 13 European countries which currently participate, and any which join in the future.
CESSDA is now seeking to recruit its first
We are seeking an outstanding person to head the Main Office, and act as the chief executive officer, chief scientific officer and representative of CESSDA in the international community.
Responsibilities of the Managing Director will include:
- Building on prior work, draft strategy, work programme, budget and staff plan for CESSDA.
- Planning the scientific and technical development, overseeing the implementation and operation of the distributed infrastructure and coordinating Service Provider cooperation.
- Monitor and measure CESSDA’s activities and report to the Board of Directors.
- Specifically, monitor the adherence of the national Service Providers to the operational rules and standards for CESSDA related operations, and develop recommendations for counter measures for any irregularities.
- Build strong pan-European and international relationships with a broad range of stakeholders within and outside the consortium. This includes CESSDA members, the relevant ministries and funding bodies, national social sciences data archives outside CESSDA, the EU, and international bodies, including research infrastructures on the European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures (ESFRI) Roadmaps as well as other research infrastructures.
- Lead the pan-European and international fundraising efforts for CESSDA.
- Plan, organize, and manage the Main Office in Bergen, which includes recruitment.
- Ensure that CESSDA’s services comply with appropriate ethical, legal and societal norms and principles.
- Facilitate and support the operation of CESSDA’s Board of Directors, General Assembly, Service Provider’s Forum and the Scientific Advisory Board.
The Managing Director will be supported in these tasks by the team of the CESSDA Main Office, consisting of up to eight persons.
The ideal candidate will be able to elaborate the strategic goals of CESSDA and demonstrate the leadership to make them a reality. Excellent communication and negotiation skills are indispensable, as well as a proven record of management capabilities including experiences in financial management, organizational development and team leadership.
The successful candidate will meet as many of the following criteria.
- A higher university degree or equivalent qualifications in the social sciences or a related field.
- An understanding of current and emerging agendas and challenges in data management and curation in the social science domain.
- Relevant experience on the European Research Area, international arena, as well as in European level funding mechanisms and understanding of the ESFRI process.
- A proven fundraising record.
- A record of scientific excellence in social science and/or data management.
- The ability to understand organisational and technical issues involved in building, maintaining, and federating digital repositories, catalogues, authentication services, and similar infrastructure components based on modern information technologies.
Besides the opportunity to shape the implementation of a large infrastructure in a quickly developing environment, the position offers the following benefits:
- A competitive salary, to be negotiated according to qualification and experience
- Social security/benefits according to Norwegian regulations.
- CESSDA is an inclusive, equal-opportunity and non-discrimination employer
- For candidates with a relevant research profile, a Professor II position at the University of Bergen could be offered, to which the candidate could devote up to 20% of their time.
The Managing Director will be based at the main office in Bergen and is expected to be travelling frequently through Europe.
This post is being advertised for a period of five years in the first instance. The statutes currently allow the post to be re-appointed for a further five years.
To submit an application, please send an application letter that describes your qualifications, experience, and specific outlook for the post. Please send this, two formal letters of reference, a CV including a list of recent relevant publications and other relevant materials in a single PDF-file to email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is March 14.
Short-listed candidates should be prepared to participate in an interview in Bergen, Norway, (envisaged date: April 28.)
Expected start date in office for the Managing Director: August 2014.
For further information, please contact Bjørn Henrichsen (Chair of the Board of Directors)
Phone: +47 55 58 21 18